Re: Playing cds in SId

Henrik Enberg <henrik@enberg.org> writes:

> Michael Heldebrant <hmike@portalofevil.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 2001-12-24 at 17:03, Henrik Enberg wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just upgraded to sid from potato and can no longer play cds as a
> >> regular user.  I am in both the audio and cdrom groups, which was
> >> sufficient on potato, but no go.  What am I missing?
> >
> > Probably the right group owner of your cdrom drive.  What does the owner
> > and group say for /dev/hdX or /dev/scdX where X is whatever the
> > appropriate device is.  If it's not group cdrom change so it's correct.
> > Otherwise post the output of ls -al /dev/hd? and ls -al /dev/scd with
> > additional information as to what type of drive and what programs you
> > are using to play cd audio.
>
> Yes, I was supposed to be int the disk group.  Thank you.

That doesn't sound right.  The disk is a very dangerous group for a
normal user, since it gives you rw access directly to the /dev/hd* and
/dev/sd* files, thereby making it easy to totally trash your hard disks.

Normally, audio and cdrom groups should be sufficient, or at least
that's true on this sid system.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org