Re: OT: which worm is this?

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 12:21:41PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:39:59PM -0500, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
| >
| > I have a friend who uses windows and aol.  Yesterday he fell for the
| > hoax that says the long-filename support files are a virus and removed
| > it.  Today he saw that many copies of a gential enlargment spam
| > message were sent from his email account.  He doesn't have any virus
| > scan software, and I am in the process of obtaining some to scan his
| > system.
| >
| > I am wondering if anyone is familiar with a windows virus/worm that
| > sends out spam messages through aol.  If you have heard of something,
| > please let me know so I can research it and help my friend clean his
| > system.
|
| Cheapbytes sells GNU/Linux install disks for about $10, shipping
| included.  A real ISP will support GNU/Linux.

Linux vs. Windows isn't the point here.  This friend (and his family)
are non-geeks.  I've mentioned linux to him, and he is curious about
it, but needs to have basic functionality of his system (email, web,
typing papers/homework) at all times for his whole family.

| Google "virus alert" should tell you all you need to know.

That turns up enough reading to last a lifetime or more :-).

-D

--

"Don't use C;  In my opinion,  C is a library programming language
 not an app programming language."  - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)