Re: OT - Tool for getting text body of email

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 10:49:46AM -0900, Christopher S. Swingley wrote:
> I need to write a program the extracts the ASCII text portion
> of email messages for insertion into a database.  I looked at the
> libmailtools-perl package, but it doesn't look like it can deal with
> the annoying variety of mail that I may need to parse (The silly +'s
> at the end of lines, MIME-attached HTML, vcards, etc.).
>
> What I want is a filter that I pass an email in, and out pops the
> ASCII, 72-line width formatted message.  All attachments, HTML mail,
> vcards and strangeness is removed.
>
> Does such a thing exist?

Either of these two programs might do what you want.
I use the first to filter all messages through my mailman lists.

Stripmime can be found at http://www.phred.org/~alex/stripmime.html.
Demime can be found at http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.html.

--
Every citizen who has produced or acquired a product should have
the option of applying it immediately to his own use or of