RE: Question / Help on XFS Font Server --- FIXED

Sorry to be replying to my own request for help, but as usual I found a "fix" about 2 hours after posting the question!

As mentioned previously, I had just used the "TrueType Fonts on Debian XFree86 4.x Systems" HOWTO by Paul D. Smith to enable TrueType Fonts on my Debian "testing" system running XFree86 version 4.1. While poking around the various logs, I discovered that both XFS and X were complaining that the 100dpi and 75dpi fonts were "unreadable" and ALL references to them in the X "Font paths" were being removed from the list of available fonts. In the HOWTO, section 5.3 "Aliases for Helvetica" the "fonts.alias" files for both were modified to improve the rendering of Helvetica fonts. Removing these changes restored the system to "normal" and both XFS and X quit complaining. The font size "problem" in NS Mail disappeared. NOTE: NS Mail was the ONLY app that appeared to be affected here.

All is well now as far as I can determine here. I would suggest making the changes for the Helvetica Font with care....possibly saving this to the last step. I don't know WHY the recommended changes mess up the 100dpi and 75dpi fonts on my system, but they did.

Submitted for the Mailing List info and consideration.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-