How do I get sound to work?

Hi,

I'm using woody. I installed ac97_codec using modconf, but sound still doesn't work in gnome apps like xmms. It gives an error message..

 Couldn't open audio
                             Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plugin selected
2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
3. Your soundcard is configured properly

I selected enable sound server startup in the gnome control centre, and rebooted, but it won't play anything.