Re: /dev/dsp not found: KDE/ALSA

Hi!

Is the soundcore.o module also loaded? That's a module directly from
the linux kernel (if you compile the kernel yourself: You have to
switch general sound card support to "M" (modularized), but leave all
other options off on the sound card support configuration page; if
you don't compile it yourself: This module should be part of the
kernel packages). It it at least necessary with my alsa 5.10
distribution. Just try to load it using modconf.

Cheers,

Stephan

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:00:31 -0800
Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I already had the
aliases
> in my modules.conf (except I use sbawe).
>
> I tried setting the sound system to OSS, but still no signs of
life.

> I'm reluctant to remove the aliases, since the alsa documenation
calls
> for them.
>
> Argh!
>
> lsmode shows lots of the right modules loaded:
>           35744   0
>         9184   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
        6016   0
           5312   0  [snd-card-sbawe]
          5408   0  [snd-card-sbawe]
             48576   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-sb16-dsp]
           10432   0  [snd-opl3 snd-pcm]
       2624   0  [snd-card-sbawe snd-sb16-dsp]
       12576   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
       10816   0  [snd-card-sbawe]
        3952   0  [snd-opl3 snd-rawmidi snd-emu8000]
        15392   0  [snd-card-sbawe]
> snd-sb-common           6040   0  [snd-card-sbawe snd-sb16-dsp
snd-sb16-csp]
> snd-hwdep               3680   0  [snd-opl3 snd-sb16-csp]
> snd                    24776   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss
snd-card-sbawe snd-opl3 snd-sb16-dsp snd-pcm snd-timer
snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-emu8000 snd-seq-device snd-sb16-csp
snd-sb-common snd-hwdep]

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 05:21:55PM +0100, Stephan Hachinger wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Hmm, I don't have no idea :(. But I have looked through my
modules.conf and
> > found the following entries:
> >
> > # ALSA multiplexer
> >
> > alias char-major-116 snd
> >

> [etc]
> >
> > Maybe adding the missing entries helps. On this system where I
have those
> > entries in modules.conf, respectively in /etc/modutils/aliases
(the best is,
> > you add such entries to /etc/modutils/aliases -> run
"update-modules" ->
> > they are written to modules.conf automatically), strangely enough
only
> > setting the arts daemon to "open sound system" makes it work, but
at least
> > the sound server works... The system had another soundcard before
and with
> > this one, it worked absolutely the right way but now only with
the "oss
> > trick".
> >

> > Another try: I also have a second system here without any entries
in
> > /etc/modutils/aliases (arts runs properly!); on this system the
following
> > modules are loaded at bootup:
> >
> > snd-card-sbawe (i.e. my sound card module)
> > snd-mixer-oss
> > snd-pcm-oss
> > snd-synth-emu8000 (i.e. the module for my AWE wavetable device)
> >

> > Hmm, maybe the first or the second entries (or combine both ;))
help... Any