Re: chmod quiestion

On Friday 21 December 2001 01:39 am, pahud@pahud.net wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Providing I have a directory /grpdir and chmod it to 775. If a user of
> that group creates a subdirectory under it, say /grpdir/subdir, the subdir
> will have 755 as it's default mode.
>
> How to force the files and subdirectories under /grpdir to have the same
> chmod value and user.group value?

Hello,

You're needing to use umask

The default mode for a fie or directory is set with umask, which uses the
numeric system to define its value.  To set the umask, you must first
determine the value you want the file to have.  For example, a common file
permission set is 644, with which the owner has read and write permission and
the rest of the world has read permission.  After the value is determined,
you subtract it from 777.  Keeping the same example of 644, the value would
be 133.  This value is the umask value.  Typically, this value is placed in a
system file that is read when a user first logs on.  After the value is set,
all files created will set their permissions automatically, using this value.

So, in your case... umask 002

- k l u r t