kernel compilation fails on sparc

I could not compile a 2.4 kernel with success so I tried 2.2.20 patched
to use ext3.

The linking failed with the following message on a lot of *.o files:

sparc64-linux-ld: warning: sparc:v9 architecture of input file `kmod.o'
is incompatible with sparc output

This is my first experience of Debian on the sparc.  Is there a way
forward?

Is is a Sun Ultra 1

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to
      us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And
      His name will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty
      God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace."
                                        Isaiah 9:6