Re:scanner recommendations?

Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2001, Vineet Kumar wrote:

> I recently bought an Epson Perfection 1650 which is working
perfectly

I am impressed by an Epson 1640 Perfections's speed
at work in a Win2k
environment

I have an Epson 640U; although it is on the list of scanners that
work with Linux, I have been unable to get it to scan. I have
been following the Linux USB Scanner mini-HOWTO but have been
unable to get the 2.4.3 kernel in place as described in the
HOWTO.

when I try to make zImage, the last
few lines of the output are:

net/network.o(.data+0x57c4): undefined reference to
`sysctl_ipx_pprop_broadcasti
ng'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

Have you been able to get the scanner running without going to
the 2.4 kernel? How have you gone about getting it to scan?

philip baratta