Re: What's a debian kid look like?

----------
> From: Matt <myanchys@is2.dal.ca>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: What's a debian kid look like?
> Date: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 11:24 PM
> Am I a Microsoft-branded
> pinko 'cause I like open-source?"

There's worse things to be branded.

White male, 66, Oregon, college but no degree (and not especially
sorry), amateur scientist/innovator, independent left social
activist, new here and pre-new to Linux. This was one of the few
posts
I can fully understand. I'm trying to get Debian going on my laptop
that someone gave me for parts. Debian because another friend
reccomended it, Linux (w/o GUI) because MS systems get ever more
complicated, consumerist and update-dependent. I tend to think Linux
was designed by nerds (you'll agree?) but also for nerds. But with
Linux I hope to be able to eventually learn to correct the many
deficiencies I find in most programs, or at least to talk about them
to someone who might listen, and go beyond that to writing socially
meaningful software. I only recently moved from DOS (and CPM not so
long ago) to W95, and still wish there were more up-to-date DOS
programs available.

Dan Robinson
541-465-4790
350 Pearl St. #1105
danrob@efn.org
Eugene OR 97401           http://www.efn.org/~danrob/

My "Golden Rule" (based on versions from several cultures):
"Think of yourself not as just an individual, but as part of all
the partnerships and communities to which you belong, including
humanity, with their gains and losses as your gains and losses.
Love thy neighbors.