Re: mbox vs. maildir

Chris Hilts wrote:

> Are there any opinions on mbox vs. maildir?  I'm told by several friends
> that maildir is probably the more efficient way to go, but my Debian system
> came with mbox by default, and I'm not sure how easy/wise it would be to
> change.

It depends what you mean by "efficient". Mbox is certainly more
efficient in terms of disk space (except perhaps on Reiserfs, which
handles large quantities of small files better than ext2), but maildir
is faster in some ways (particularly if more than one process may want
to access the folder at the same time).

Depending on what software you're using for mail transport and client,
you may not have a choice. Not all mail clients support maildir format.
Mutt does; I'm not sure what others do.

Craig