Re: How to handle whitespace in filenames ???

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 06:32:18PM -0600, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> Wrong. There's a reason why people with half a clue don't put
> spaces in paths, and inadequacy of tools is not it. Unless your
> computer can read minds, it has no way of telling when the
> whitespace's supposed to be input separator, and when it's just
> a part of filename.

It's not just the shells.  Give me a list of space-separated
filenames with spaces in them, and I won't be able to tell you how
many files are in the list either.  ("Look for .xls or .txt or..."
isn't a valid solution.  Forcing all files to have n-letter
extensions on their names is just another form of breakage.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss