noflushd

Hello,

I've got a machine that ought to be capable to run it's tasks
completely in RAM for long times (more detailsbelow). free
usually reports 30-40MB (out of 80) not even to be used for
buffers. Now, I thought there is a way to force the machine to
fill it's buffers until either a) the disk's up anyway or b) it runs
out of memory. Furthermore, I thought noflushd would be
taking care of this.

the command used: noflushd -n15 /dev/hda

trying to check it with -vd, I get the following: Error: no valid
timeout for /dev/hda

Now I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Even more as the disk
actually spins down frequently, but comes back to live every
couple of minutes. Thats bad, is it?

More details and further ideas: It is a more-or-less classical
dial-in box. It has a harddisk that from time to time is actually
needed, but most of the time (approx 22hrs a day) its sole job
is IP maquerading and running a nameserver (BIND9 as out of
the box, caching-only).

ls -rt indicates that syslogd & al. are responsible for the
frequent activity, at any rate the only files that have changed
during the last couple of hours are to be found in /var/log.

Now, I don't want to live without logging, but consider to move
the logfiles into a ramdisk and have logrotate copy them onto
the disk. But this seems to be quite an endeavour, and if
anyone can think of an easier way, please let me know.

cu, Schnobs