print job gone bad--how to kill

I was going to make a hard copy of a howto, except that at about the
50th page it stops all line feeds.(three times now at the same spot, so
I suspect the file rather than the printer)  I've used lpc to stop and
abort.  Of course all that happened then was that the job cranked up
again when I got my printer re-aligned and on-line.  I know that I've
seen something on controlling this little beastie, but it's 2:40a and my
brain has stopped functioning.  Can I just delete the file from the
print spool?  Or will that crap up some other something I'm gonna want
someday?

There's bound to be something more elegant.  Please point me in the
right direction.

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash