does 2.4.17-rc2 kernel build with latest woody binutils?

I have 2 disks on the motherboard controller (440bx); installed
kernel-image-2.4.16, which saw the hpt370 controller I have; now I want to
move the disks on that controller, but it seems that the debian standard
kernel doesn't have support for 'boot offboard chipsets first' compiled in
(that would allow me to append ide=reverse at bootup); which leads me to
compiling my own kernel; but I can't because of the binutils (more exactly
because of the kernel). what options do I have?
I will happily try 2.4.17-rc2 if it works...
any useful suggestions appreciated.

dragos