RE: Diald configuration

chidambaram_ram@vsnl.net wrote:

Request to diagnose the problem with Diald.
 Copy of /syslog and /etc/chatscripts/vsnl.net is here.
command# /usr/sbin/pppd

pppd[535]:pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
pppd[535]:Using interface ppp0
pppd[535]:ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
pppd[535]:LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
pppd[535]:Connection terminated
pppd[535]:Exit

After using "ppp dialup utility"

kernel: ppp:version 2.3.7
kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
kernel: registered device ppp0
pppd[397]: ppp 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
pppd[397]: Connect script failed.
pppd[397]: Exit

Active portions of "/chatscripts/vsnl.net" generated by pppconfig 2.0.5

ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
''ATZ
OK-AT-OK ATDP172226
CONNECT''
ogin:chidambaram_ram
ssword:............
''\d\c
#end of pppconfig stuff.

I have not used DialD in quite a while, but as I recall, it was a PITA to get going. I much prefer using the "demand" function built into all current pppd daemons. You can set this up quite easily with the pppconfig program, by using the "advanced" section, where you can select this option. Diald used to have over-lapping config files with pppd that took a lot of time to get them in sync, IMHO. I would highly suggest you review the man page for pppd AND the PPP-HOWTO to get a feel for how all these files relate to each other. It may be different now with more modern versions of diald .... dunno. I have been using a Cable Modem for over a year and my experience is dated & fading into a dim memory.

In any case, there are several inter-dependent scripts and config files you have to inspect for your problem(s). Here are some of my pitfalls in the past that seem to be quite common among dial-up users.

1. /etc/ppp/options file: This is the "master" config file read by pppd upon startup. Some Options placed here can be over-ridden by subsequent (secondary) config files. The main offender in this file is the "AUTH" option. This requires the remote computer to authenticate itself to YOUR computer, and most ISPs will not do this. The "fix" is to change it to "NOAUTH". Alternatively, this can be over-ridden by the /etc/ppp/peers/provider file, if you use it. Dunno if Diald uses this file or not...(here's where understanding how all the config files link together comes in handy). If you use the pppd "demand" function, this file (/etc/ppp/peers/provider) WILL be used and you really don't have to make this change. BTW, the "AUTH" option was placed there in order for YOUR computer to safely accept dial-ins (like your ISP). If you change "AUTH" to "NOAUTH" here, any dial-ins will NOT be authenticated.

2. If you chose to use PAP authentication when you ran pppconfig, then the "login" and "password" lines in your chatscript are not necessary and "might" be the reason you are having a "chatscript failure". PAP is used by most ISP's now, and it will take care of this for you. If you have your /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file set up properly, (this should be done automatically by pppconfig), then these lines will probably not appear during the initial negotiations. I suggest you comment out these two lines in your chatscript and see what happens.

3. If I recall correctly, DialD prefers to "take-over" most of the functions of /etc/ppp/options and sub-files. I had only a minimal set of options defined in the /etc/ppp/options file. I had lots of problems with conflicting options between the DialD config files and the pppd config files. This mainly involved things like setting the MTU, etc. I don't think this would cause your current problem, though....just later on when you want to "fine-tune" your system to maximize d/l speeds, etc.

4. Take a look at the /etc/init.d/ppp initscript. If you want your system to automatically start the dial-up whenever you click on an outside link, you will have to re-name the /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot file as explained in the initscript. This is only needed if you use pppd "demand" function ... dunno how it interacts with diald. You probably DON't want to do this if you use diad, but agin, I just dunno. You might also want to read the info in /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot ... there is some interesting info there that is not printed in other docs. In fact, I have found LOTS of hints buried within all those config files.

As implied above, there is a multitude of interconnected config options when using diald. The ONLY way I was able to get mine going was to wade through all the documentation and do a LOT of experimenting. There doesn't seem to be a single answer to any given set of symptoms. That is why I prefer the pppd "demand" option, and it simplifies the number of config files you have to inspect/correct.

HTH,
-Don Spoon-