Re: stable->testing wants to remove loads of packages ...

on Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 06:05:16PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews (jaycee@jaycee.uklinux.net) wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Just wondering if anyone knows why the following's happening:
>

> # apt-get -f dist-upgrade
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   console-tools gdm gnome-control-center gnome-gturing groff gs gv libguile6
>   locales man-db task-gnome-apps task-gnome-desktop task-gnome-games
>   task-gnome-net task-x-window-system-core xbase-clients xf86setup
>   xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-cjk xfonts-cyrillic
>   xfonts-scalable xlib6g-dev xmanpages xpm4g
>   cpp-2.95 defoma g++-2.95 gcc-2.95 gconf gnome-gnotski gnome-mime-data
>   groff-base host ifupdown ipchains klogd libast1 libbonobo2 libbz2-1.0

<...>

> 261 packages upgraded, 65 newly installed, 26 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
> Need to get 135MB of archives. After unpacking 69.2MB will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

Thank you.

> This happens after changing an up-to-date potato to point to testing,
> 'cept without the security sources.list entry.

Had you had the security line filled before?

> I'm not really sure that I want all that stuff to disappear, and it
> doesn't look like that cpio problem that was doing the rounds a while
> ago.

In general, you can prevent a package from being removed automatically
be requesting it be held.  In your case:

    $ cat <<EOF | dpgk --set-selections
    console-tools hold
    gdm hold
    gnome-control-center hold
    gnome-gturing hold
    groff hold
    gs hold
    gv hold
    libguile6 hold
    locales hold
    man-db hold
    task-gnome-apps hold
    task-gnome-desktop hold
    task-gnome-games hold
    task-gnome-net hold
    task-x-window-system-core hold
    xbase-clients hold
    xf86setup hold
    xfonts-100dpi hold
    xfonts-75dpi hold
    xfonts-base hold
    xfonts-cjk hold
    xfonts-cyrillic hold
    xfonts-scalable hold
    xlib6g-dev hold
    xmanpages hold
    xpm4g hold
    EOF

...would freeze each of these packages at the current release.  man dpkg
for more info.

If you wanted to spend the time finding out just which package it was
that everything was dependent on, you could try specifying holds one at
a time and re-running your apt-get line.  The "-s" tag will show you
what will be done without actually doing it.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org