Re: newbie installation question

Johann Spies wrote:

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:15:59PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

Where should a program like OpenOffice be installed? I installed it once and it looks as much like a Windows setup as a Linux setup.

I did not see any documentation from OpenOffice about this, but I
remember that with StarOffice I installed it in /usr/local/office (or
whatever name you want to give to that directory) with the /net option.
I did that as root.  Then as user I ran "setup" from that directory and
it created in the user's home directory a small localized file structure
with symlinks to /usr/local/...'s files.

I have tried the same with OpenOffice and it worked in the same way.

Thanks. This list is great. I asked this question after starting the install when it asked me for the directory.

With the local setup I now understand why I could use OpenOffice as root but not as a user.

Paul