Re: Best way to mirror two drives

<quote who="Lance Hoffmeyer">
> I just purchased a second 30G drive that I want to use as part of
> my backup strategy.  I now have two 30G drives in my computer.  I
> don't have a RAID card.  I have /dev/hda and /dev/hdb.  What is the
> best way to mirror /dev/hda? I have thought of
>
> dd
> cp
> rsync
>
> but am not sure which method would be most efficient.  Are there
> other methods I am leaving out?

software raid1 ..though with only 1 drive it wont be very
easy to setup the full system to be mirrored, easiest way
to go on software raid1 is to setup a 500MB / partition,
install minimal system, setup the raid array(s) and move
the data over(i usually have /usr  and /var and /home on
raid, or 1 big /raid partition with /usr /var and /home
pointing to /raid/usr /raid/var and /raid/home)

i have never experienced a drive failure with software
raid1 so i don't know what to expect if it were to
occur.

nate