Installing the other OS by cp -ax

Some time ago I tried to install the userfriendly OS Windows 98 on spare
partition. Of course it succeded in rendering my laptop unusable. It took me
two days to get my system back. This was four weeks ago, so now I'm ready for
some more pain.

Instead of letting the windows installer put it's teeth in my hd I've tried
installing the OS by copying an complete installaion from another computer.

I've mounted the other computers C: at /mnt/winc
and copied it to my empty FAT parition /dev/hda1 mounted at /mnt/hd like so:

 cp -ax /mnt/winc /mnt/hd

I've entered a entry for windows in lilo like so:

 other=/dev/hda1
        label=win

Lilo will let me choose win at boot time. But I will get an errormessage that
says something like "This is not a bootdisk, replace it with a bootdisk and
press any key" in swedish.

However my fdisk says:
    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
 /dev/hda1   *         1       122    979933+   6  FAT16
 /dev/hda2           123       134     96390   83  Linux
 /dev/hda3           135       170    289170   82  Linux swap
 /dev/hda4   *       171       730   4498200   83  Linux

Did I miss some magic flag when partitioning the drive?
Did I get the cp wrong?
Did HAL think I was trying to replace him permanently?

--
o polite