Re: pseudo-image-kit

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 08:55:08PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
| On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:04:04 Noah Meyerhans wrote:
| > On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 02:48:43PM -0500, dman wrote:
| > >
| > > If you need the psuedo-image-kit, then you want to install
| > > debian but don't have it yet, thus you can't use
| > > dpkg/apt/dselect/whatever to get the psuedo-image-kit.
| >
| > So you are claiming that we do not support the creation of Debian
| > cds from within Debian?  That makes no sense.  Probably every
| > single Debian CD I have created has been made on a Debian system.
| > I can't remember any exceptions, in any case.
| >
| > psuedo-image-kit should be available in Debian.  Why it has never
| > been packaged, I don't know.  Most likely it is just that nobody
| > has ever bothered.
|
| Just for the benefit of a curious dope, what is pseudo-image-kit?
| and what does it do that people find useful?

As you may know, the debian project does not provide ftp or http
access to ISO images of the distribution.  Instead there is ftp and
http access to all the packages that are in the distro.  So the
psuedo-image-kit is a collection of programs (for those who lack a
*nix system in the first place) and a bunch of scripts that use those
programs.  These scripts take a list of the packages that are in the
official stable distribution and download them and put them together
similar to what the iso image would be.  Then rsync is used to fix
that psuedo-image so that it is an official image.  Then the person
can burn it on a cd.  http://cdimage.debian.org  (BTW, if you're lazy
you can just jump straigh to the rsync step and bypass the rest of the
process)

-D

--

"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
impossible to accomplish complex actions."