repairing crashed update

my system crashed during a recent dist-upgrade. it comes back up but with various utilities (e.g. adduser) looking for .pm
scripts that no longer exist on the system. if anyone has gone through the same and managed to cure it, please let me know how.
not that i want to be rude, but i really don't need speculative suggestions for solving this--although effective directions to
potential information resources would be appreciated.

ben