GConf-problem

Hi,

I'm using Debian3.0 (woody) and kernel 2.4.13.

I have gconf, libgconf11 and libgconf-dev installed, but still
none of the apps using gconf (gnome-gv, nautilus) works. Instead they
complain:

"GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server (a likely cause of this
 is that you have an existing configuration server (gconfd) running, but it
 isn't reachable from here - if you're logged in from two machines at once,
 you may need to enable TCP networking for ORBit)"

A "ps auxc" reports no gconfd running.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
/Stefan