Re: fetchmail & exim on a ppp dialup

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 06:48:16PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
| Thanks to help from several debianers, I now have exim working.
| (i.e. if you see this message it is working for sending mail)
| But fetchmail is not yet working. I look at syslog and see that
| the connection to the ISP is being refkused. i.e.:
|
| Dec 16 18:34:00 cmn fetchmail[543]: fetchmail: POP3 connection to quiknet.com failed: Connection refused

This message ("connection refused") means that either
    a)  there is nothing listening on that port
    or
    b)  there is a firewall DENYing the connection from your machine
most likely it is (a).

| Dec 16 18:33:58 cmn fetchmail[543]: 28 messages (28 seen) for pecondon at mail2.quiknet.com (80419 octets).

It sees the messages.  Any info after this?  Run in verbose mode
("-v -v" ) as someone else suggested.  This will tell you exactly what
the exchange between the ISP and fetchmail, and fetchmail and the
local MDA is.

-D

                                     .... what McDonald's is to gourmet cooking