Re: Secure POP over SSH

On 2001.12.16 22:50 Alan Chandler wrote:

On Sunday 16 December 2001 8:28 pm, Pollywog wrote:
> I read the docs at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Secure-POP+SSH.html
> and I am wondering whether this approach can work for multiple
mailboxes
> at one ISP (if I use fetchmail).

Does you ISP allow you to create an SSH tunnel to them - ie has he got a
sshd
running, and is your public key in his authorised key database.  You
can't do
this unless he has set it up for you to do so.

They have sshd running, though it is not ssh2.

What I am almost sure will happen is
> that before the SSH tunnel is disconnected for one mailbox, fetchmail
will
> try to retrieve mail for the next mailbox.

It will if your fetchmailrc contains multiple mailbox polls.  The
alternative
is to run several scripts which run with different fetchmailrc files -
each
one doing a single poll.
I thought of doing it this way, but I ran into problems with some mailboxes because I log in as "domain.com/username" for all but one of the accounts. For one account, I log in as "username@domain.com" and fetchmail and ssh accept this format.

I don't want to set up a
> different port for each mailbox because I think that would be an abuse
of
> my ISP.  I want fetchmail to use SSH to retrieve mail one mailbox at a
> time.

I don' think you can use fetchmail to set up ssh - you have to do it
yourself
and then setup fetchmail to use it.

I am able to login to my ISP account with SSH, using my SSH passphrase, so it is all set up.

After fooling around with this stuff, it appears to me that I will not be able to do what I wanted to do.

thanks

--
Andrew