Re: kernel compiling with initrd support

On Sonntag, 16. Dez. 2001 at 14:59:02, Olifuc@aol.com wrote:

>is there a special procedure compiling a debian kernel-image (with make-kpkg)
>with initrd support and is it worth to handle it with this support. I don't
>receive the right information from the kernel-initrd-documentation.

Hello Oliver,

from man make-kpkg:

-------------------snip---------------------
--initrd
    If  make-kpkg is generating a kernel-image package, perform any
    actions necessary for a kernel loaded using initrd.  This may
    include extra dependencies, and modifications to maintainer
    scripts.  It  has no  effect  when make-kpkg  is not making a
    kernel-image package. The same effect can be achieved by setting
    the environment variable INITRD to YES To avoid a warning at
    install time, please read ker­ nel-img.conf(5), and add a
    do_initrd directive in that file.
-------------------snip---------------------

Is it necessary for you, that you compile your kernel with initrd
support? I prefer not to make modules from the important things for
booting, so I don't need initrd support. Think over this. For
bootdisks it is ok to have a kernel with initrd support, but for a
normal machine I think it is not necessary. When you compile your
kernel with initrd, don't forget to add a line to your lilo.conf or
your menu.lst when you are booting with grub.

CU Michael

--
Registred Linux-User: 183712
GnuPG Key: B3F038DC