Re: more questions on Hard-Disk Upgrade...

- --- wrote:

>im going to transfer my debian<old disk> to a new disk.
>i read the Hard-Disk Upgrade HOWTO and my situation is
>different from the HOWTO. right now im using
>
>devFS
>ext3FS
>
>and here is how my disk is partitioned
>

>/dev/discs/disc0/part1 		mandrake / <mbr>
>/dev/discs/disc0/part2          mandrake <extended>
>   -/dev/discs/disc0/part5	mandrake swap
>   -/dev/discs/disc0/part6	mandrake usr
>   -/dev/discs/disc0/part7	mandrake home
>   -/dev/discs/disc0/part8	debian swap
>/dev/discs/disc0/part3		debian /
>/dev/discs/disc0/part4		debian usr
>
>and here is what i want in my new HD(40GB)
>
>/	500MB
>var	5GB
>usr	10GB
>home	5GB
>
>questions:
>
>1. Should i delete the ext3 journal file first before i
>   transfer debian<part3 and part4>?

There won't be a need, as you just need to copy the contents
of the folders. You need not copy the journal.
You need not copy /proc. Just make a /proc directory in
your new root partition.

>2. Should i _nomount_ devfs first before i start copying?

No idea on this. I just copied /dev and it's ok. Then I'd
recompile the kernel on the new partition to support devfs,
then run devfsd, and it's all set.

>3. How will i am going to boot debian after copying
>   since my old mbr<old disk> is part of mandrake?
>   Should i install mbr after copying?

If you're to boot both Mandrake and Debian on the same box,
(and don't have any plans of removing your old hard disk)
I suggest you use grub (and it's easier that way). You can
use grub present in your mandrake partition for this.

If you'd remove the old hard drive, use cfdisk to make the
new / in the new hard disk bootable. I'll still bat for
the use of grub as your bootloader (grub 0.9x that is),
as it can do more things than lilo can. Or install an
mbr to your new disk(I don't see the need for making / bootable,
as you can still load a kernel from anywhere... but it won't
hurt if you do)

>4. This one im having FUD. Is it ok to separate /var and /home
>   from the old disk(they are both part of /) to the new disk
>   and be placed on their respected partitions?

Yes.

If you're going for separate partitions, I'd suggest a very
small root partition (say 80 MB) then a big, separate /tmp
partition with the /tmp directory having permissions 1777.

Not to promote a filesystem flame, but if you're to use your
box for heavy streaming (such as gigabyte size files, databases
et.al), use XFS. Then ReiserFS for partitions that need to be
"cleaned" of contents everytime. For Linux setup at home, I
use XFS for root, /home and /usr, and ReiserFS for /var and /tmp.
Else, ext3 is just fine (but it inherits ext2's limitations...)

If you also need ACL's, use XFS (ext2/ext3 ACLs is still in
development).
ReiserFS is quite good for caching services.
Ext3 is good if you're after the proven strengths of ext2 with
the benefits of journalling. There are also some caveats in
XFS that are not quite good which are not in ext3 (can't
remember - my friend just mentioned it since he uses ext3 in
his workstations)

Hope this can help...

Paolo Alexis Falcone

www.edsamail.com