Re: task-doc ?

On Saturday 15 December 2001 15:25, Paul E Condon wrote:
> This is the second to last sentence from
> /usr/share/doc/task-newbie-help/README.Debian on my newly
> installed Potato:
>
> All the standard docs are available if you install the
> task-doc package, so do a apt-get install task-doc now if you
> don't have the package installed.
>
> But there does not seem to be a package with the name
> "task-doc" listed by dselect.
> Looking at the various packages that are found by a search for
> "doc" in dselect, I can well imagine
> that the Debian maintainers failed to reach a consensus as to
> what dependencies should be
> included in such a task. Can some energetic experts recommend
> their own lists of what docs a newbie
> should have on his machine for immediate reference? There is
> so much out there!
>
> Thanks

Try
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net

There is a package available called newbiedoc but I believe it's
only available in testing.

If you're running stable take a look at the dhelp and dwww
packages which are available in stable.

After you install these packages you may wish to put your
browser start page as (or create a bookmark):
file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

which is the index to dhelp.  I had to do this because just
typing dhelp at the command line didn't work.  I believe there
is a missing symlink or something.

Just type dwww at the command line to get dwww.

HTH,
Jesse