Re: gcc and gcc-3.0 harmony

On 15-Dec-2001 csj wrote:
> I see that there's no Conflicts line between the gcc and gcc-3.0
> packages. Does this mean they can really coexist at build time? What
> would happen (I obviously have only one of them installed) when I do
> something like "dpkg-buildpackage"? Would the package be compiled with
> gcc 2.95 or with gcc 3.0?

What dman is trying to says is 'gcc-2.95 is still the default gcc, that will be
the one called unless you specifically ask for gcc 3.0.  The reason for this is
that not everything compiles happily under the 3.0 series, especially the
kernel and anything C++.  The reason why is the 3.0 series is more
modern standards compliant (and enforcing).  So if gcc 3.0 were to superceed
2.95 the chaos would be immediate and loud.  Eventually, people will catch up
to the compiler and we can switch over.  Many of Debian's non intel
architectures use only the 3.0 series currently.