Re: gcc and gcc-3.0 harmony

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 12:42:19AM +0800, csj wrote:
| I see that there's no Conflicts line between the gcc and gcc-3.0
| packages. Does this mean they can really coexist at build time? What
| would happen (I obviously have only one of them installed) when I do
| something like "dpkg-buildpackage"? Would the package be compiled with
| gcc 2.95 or with gcc 3.0?

The only one you have installed.

If you install both packages, you have "gcc" (2.95.4) and "gcc-3.0"
(3.0).  If you set CC=gcc-3.0 before running "make", a well-made
Makefile will use 3.0.  If you set up a symlink, say ~/bin/gcc, to
gcc-3.0 and have ~/bin in your PATH before /usr/bin then 3.0 would
also be used (unless the configure or Makefile explicitly looks in
/usr/bin for gcc).

-D

--

A wise servant will rule over a disgraceful son,
and will share the inheritance as one of the brothers.