Re: pppd, imap and downloading single packages

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 16:02, Simon R Tod wrote:
> I've just been using pppd via pon / poff from root ever since I set
> things up with pppconfig, but now that I want to add other users to the
> system I need a way of giving users access. I tried just adding users
> through the appropriate bit of pppconfig, and I far as I can tell, it's
> successfully added them to the 'dip' group. BUT, when I run pon as a
> non-root user I get the message
>
> /usr/bib/pon: /usr/sbin/pppd: Permission denied
> /usr/bib/pon: exec: /usr/sbin/pppd: cannot execute: Permission denied
Maybe setting /usr/sbin/pppd to setuid root helps. However, this might
be not the best solution for security reason. Anyway use chmod u+x /usr/sbin/pppd (as root).

> My second question... is where do find info on setting up my email -
> presumably there's a number of things to be configured?! If I want to
> use imap so that I can effective mirror my email from work, how do I go
> about doing that? And am I likely to need to sort anything out at work?
I have the same problem. I use a combination of fetchmail, procmail,
mutt.
The most simple solution is to make a carbon copy of your mails at
work with the '.forward' file: One mail in your regular spool file and
one in another file in your local Mail dir.

Does your work support IMAP, than this might be the solution.

When you want to have copies of your sent messages in both places send
them to your work address and treat them as regular mails, but sort them
out with procmail.

Sorry, you could write a book about mail setup. It took me one month of
work to set all my stuff up effeciently with all the filters, etc.

> Finally, a nice quick question. How do I download, install and compile a
> single program and it's dependencies? I had a look at using dselect, but
> it seemed to want to try and install everything that was already on my
> system and up to date. Also tried using apt-get install, but nothing
> seems to happen. There must be a dead easy way of doing... if I jsut
> download the .deb file from an ftp site where do I stick it, how do I
> unpack, install and compile it? Is there something even easier?
apt-get is the right thing. Maybe you have not set it up correctly. You
should have a file /etc/apt/sources.list with somthing like this in
there:
# woody/testing
deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

Bye, Steffen