Re: What is locales?

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 03:37:05PM -0800, Lars Jensen wrote:
> What is the locales package,

It provides national language support for locales other than ASCII-based
American English.

> and how do I configure it?

'dpkg-reconfigure locales' picks the set of locales that are constructed
on your system (they're not all shipped for space reasons). You can then
set $LANG - or one of the other locale environment variables, see
locale(7) - to one of the locales you've configured.

> I figure that I have to choose en_US ISO-8859-1 or en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
> or both (or nothing?). What are these choices, and which one should I
> pick when installing woody?

ISO-8859-1, also known as Latin-1, beats plain ASCII for representing
characters in many European languages. UTF-8, a variant of Unicode, will
probably be the preferred choice in a few years' time, but support for
it is not yet complete.