New kernel vs. 2nd ide ext2 hdd ???

I am building a development box that requires starting with slink.

The system is up and functioning; but, now, I need to implement a 2.2.19
kernel.  It builds successfully; but, has problems at bootup.

The system:

	Pentium 150
	64MB RAM
	/dev/sda1 - swap
	/dev/sda2 - /
	/dev/scd0 - cdrom
	/dev/hdb1 - /usr/local

Under the original slink, *ALL* of this functions properly!

My new (2.2.19) kernel properly recognizes everything *except*
/dev/hdb1:

``Checking all file systems . . .
Parallelizing fsck version 1.12 (9-Jul-98)
fsck.ext2: Operation not supported by devices while trying to open
/dev/hdb1
/dev/hdb1:
filesystem ...''

When I do this:

	e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdb1

I get this:

``The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem ...''

I've varied several variables in .config to no avail ;<

What do you think?

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .