PCI serial port card problems

I bought a startech 2 port serial card to add some ports (only after
googling a bit did I discover startech is not well loved in the linux
development community).  The thing is that the card is there according
to lspci, but the kernel doesn't create any extra serial ports for the
card.  This also means devfs will not create a new device for the two
ports.  I've just upgraded to kernel 2.4.16 with these serial options
(2.4.13 had the same options except compiled in and had the same
problems).  I've also tried playing with the BIOS for PnP options to no
avail:

kernel options:

CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_MANY_PORTS is not set
CONFIG_SERIAL_SHARE_IRQ=y
# CONFIG_SERIAL_DETECT_IRQ is not set
CONFIG_SERIAL_MULTIPORT=y

lspci -vv output:

00:09.0 Serial controller: Unknown device 9710:9835 (rev 01) (prog-if 02
[16550])
	Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic (formerly NCR): Unknown device
0002	Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 14
	Region 0: I/O ports at 9400 [size=8]
	Region 1: I/O ports at 9000 [size=8]
	Region 2: I/O ports at 8800 [size=8]
	Region 3: I/O ports at 8400 [size=8]
	Region 4: I/O ports at 8000 [size=8]
	Region 5: I/O ports at 7800 [size=16]

and dmesg shows only this on bootup for the serial ports:

Serial driver version 5.05c (2001-07-08) with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT
SHARE_IRQ SERIAL_PCI ISAPNP enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
PCI: Enabling device 00:09.0 (0000 -> 0001)
PCI: Found IRQ 14 for device 00:09.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 14 with 00:04.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 14 with 00:04.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 14 with 00:0d.0

So it's enabling the card at this point but I don't get any ttyS2 or 3.

I tried this:

setserial /root/ttyS2 irq 14 port 09400 autoconfig

after creating the correct char devices 4, 66 for ttyS2 and 4, 67 for
ttyS3 and I still get nothing.

Is this a kernel/devfs issue?  I've given up after 2 days of testing and
searching for any information about a problem like this.  I hope someone
can point me in the right direction.

--mike