Re: Can't find vroot.h (Solved)

Thus spake Stephen Gran:
> Thus spake Bob Underwood:
> > On Wednesday 12 December 2001 16:32, Stephen Gran wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > > I am trying to compile a couple of screensavers, and they call for a
> > > file called vroot.h, apparently in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/.  I looked
> > > at packages.debian.org for which package it comes in (I would have
> > > thought xlibs-dev) but oddly, there is no such file.  Googling it I
> > > find that it "is the standard X root window <blah blah blah>" - Is it
> > > just called something else under Debian, in which case I can just
> > > change the name of the file that the source is looking for?  Or is it
> > > just totally absent in our distro - seems unlikely, as many apps use
> > > the root window under X, and they all seem to know how to get to it.
> > > Perhaps I'm just missing something, but I'm hoping for help.
> > > Not a high priority, you understand, as it is _just_ a screensaver,
> > > but I am trying out the compiling from source thing with small, simple
> > > things so that I can get a feel for writing, and these little trip-ups
> > > can be a little frustrating.
> > > TIA and sorry for the ramble,
> > > Steve
> >
> > In testing and unstable, there's a file called kscreensaver_vroot.h in
> > kdelibs-dev.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Bob
> Thanks Bob,
> It doesn't seem like that's it, although I'm not sure.  I have found
> versions of vroot.h online, but I am leary of putting something that
> may be geared towards a different distro/version whatever in this spot
> - not really sure what would happen.  Just for completeness sake -
> Running Woody, i686 chip.
> X packages are 4.1.0-9
> Dunno what else is needed, although I will be happy to give more info
> if needed.
> Thanks again, all,
> Steve
Hello all,
A tip from this list led me to google vroot.h site:debian.org - and I
got a hit saying that vroot.h had been added to xmountains for SPARC
to close a bug - this led me to believe, initially, that it should be
in the package, even though my earlier search was fruitless.  Some
futzing about later, I realized it probably comes in the source - and
so it is.  All is fixed now, thanks everybody again, and thanks t the
whole community for providing source code - it is both immensely
informative, and also sometimes very helpful for these little quirks.
Getting there,
Steve
--
World War Three can be averted by adherence to a strictly enforced dress code!