Advice on upgrading Potato to Sid

Iam sorry If this is a usuall question, but Ive just changed over to use Debian rather than
RedHat, so iam a bit stuck in my ways with the RedHat way of doing things (rpms and so
forth)

Really I just wanted some advice on trying to get my Debian system upto the functionality
of RedHat 7.2 (or there abouts)

My main concern is to have Kernel-2..4.x.x, XFree86-4.1.0,Evolution,Gnome 1.4  and Xine.

Ive just downloaded Potato disks 1 & 2 and also Sid disc's 1 & 2 and In the process of
burning Sid to cd now.

What would be the best route to take with what I want?

1. Installing potato and then using apt-cdrom to add the sid cdrom list to souces.list ( I
presume then removing potato cdroms from the list), then doing an:
apt-get update && apt-get -u dist-upgrade

2. Installing sid without installing Potato.

3. Installing potato and then upgrading Only what I want.

One of the reasons Ive changed is partially apt and also I got fed up with 101 other niggles
with RedHat,
Ive tried Mandrake (too newbized),
Slackware (good, but lacking in the package management and dependancy side),
SuSE (never got on with ever).

Any advice or tip's, help would be very appressiated

Thanks in Advance

Mark