What does xconsole display? (was: Re: proper set-up of xconsole ?)

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> on Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 10:54:16PM -0800, briand@zipcon.net (briand@zipcon.net) wrote:
> >
> > I've noticed that the default persmissions on xconsole are :
> >
> > ~ $ ls -l /dev/xconsole
> > prw-r-----    1 root     adm             0 Dec 11 22:52 /dev/xconsole
> >
> > When I start xconsole in my xsession file it can't access xconsole.
> >
> > What is the proper way to set permissions.  Should I make interested
> > users part of the adm group ?
> >
> > I've read in some deja posts that xdm takes care of this, but I use
> > startx.
>
> Either add your user to the 'adm' group, or run xdm sudo root.
>
> Another alternative, one that I prefer, is to use xconsole.  I invoke
> this via a script, using sudo:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /usr/bin/xrootconsole -fg grey60 -geometry 80x52-40+68 --wrap /dev/xconsole &

I've never used xconsole before, and I'm curious what shows up in it?
The man page says, "The xconsole program displays messages which are
usually sent to /dev/console," but what kind of messages are sent
there?

And a second question: If you don't run xconsole, where do these
messages show up?  tty1?

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org