Re: vncserver ignoring ~/.vnc/xstartup :(

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 19:12, Francois Gouget wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Martin Rowe wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'm trying to get VNC running on my home box and vncserver sems to be
> > bypassing the xstartup script. Instead of running Blackbox, it pulls up
> > KDE. The .vnc/ session log doesn't report any problems, and I can run
> > xstartup within the VNC window and it runs (just lanches an aterm) fine -
> > just on top of KDE. This has worked fine for me in the past, though on
> > Mandrake, and runs okay at work on Debian (though launched from inetd
> > instead of manually starting each session, and using a login manager, so
> > no xstartup involved).
> >
> > The only similar problem I've seen hunting via Google has also been on a
> > Debian system, so I was wondering if there was a difference in the
> > packaging of VNC for Debian - or more likely I've missed something
> > obvious somewhere.
>
>    Replying late but... I believe this can be caused by
> x-session-manager. When KDE is installed it seems to systematically
> start its own window manager, which means that when twm gets to start
> there is already a window manager running so it fails.
>    Well, in any case I had this problem when I installed KDE on my box,
> x-window-manager was not used anymore so I deleted the
> x-session-manager symlink.

Well, that got me a bit further. Now it starts up with Enlightenment! I
can at least get a Blackbox session by choosing it from the Window
manager menu option (though it does nothing the first time I select it).
As a check I put some other commands into my .vnc/xstartup, and they do
*not* get run at all when running vncserver.

I've since tried doing a 'manual' vncserver from work, with an identical
xstartup script, and that works. Both boxes are running up to date Sid,
with the only obvious difference (that I can see) being the work box
boots to an X login (kdm), and my home box just boots to the console.

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net  jamaro@firstlinux.net  http://www.dbg400.net
/"\