Re: gnumeric, rxvt hang because of fontpath

  Craig> briand@zipcon.net wrote:
  >> 282 ?        S      0:00 /usr/X11R6/bin/xfstt --port 7100 --daemon --user nobody
  >>
  >> Does xfstt, see above count ?

  Craig> It ought to.

  Craig> Try this. As root, run "netstat -anp --tcp" and verify that
  Craig> something is actually listening on port 7100, and that that
  Craig> something has the process name "xfstt".

Well, duh, that's a good idea.  Did it and it is listening on port 7100.

  Craig> If that looks okay, then read up on xfstt and check its
  Craig> configuration.  I don't use it, so I can't help you with
  Craig> that.

Well I glanced briefly and things look OK.  I'll experiment a little.

  Craig> Also, if you have any kind of firewall operating on your
  Craig> machine, verify that connections to port 7100 are allowed. (I
  Craig> have an external firewall, so I don't know much about how
  Craig> iptables or ipchains work. I assume it's possible to prevent
  Craig> your own machine from connecting to itself. At this point, by
  Craig> the way, I'm offering you wild guesses.)

Well that's also a good idea.  I killed the firewall completely and
tried again.  Still hangs.

Curiouser and curiouser

Of course, if I don't need a font server anyway, I guess the best plan
is to really dump xfstt and comment out the :7100 line, and just run
away from the problem.

Seems like I'm the only person suffering from this.

Thanks for your help.

Brian