Re: Help please, geting framebuffer working

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 11:58:05PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| On Tue Dec 11 19:41:19 2001 dman wrote...
| >On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 06:46:19PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| >| I enabled it in the kernel, and rebooted, but I did not get a frambuffer,
| >| juts plain old console.
| >|
| >| I've read the framebuffer HOWTO, but it seems a bit too old to help me.
| >
| >It's not too old, mainly.
| >
| >| What am I doing wrong?
| >
| ># grep "^kernel" /boot/grub/menu.list
| >kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.16-custom.1 root=/dev/hda4 read-only video=vesa vga=0x31A
|
| If I do "vag=ask" in lilo.conf, than it does stop and prompt me for a
| resolutin, however, I still don;t get framebuffer.

Right.  If you check the docs
(/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-<version>/Documentation/fb/vesa.txt.gz)
you'll see that the "ask" only shows VGA modes (text console) in the
list.  You need to choose a number not in the list (like 0x31A) to get
the framebuffer.

| Adding "video=vesa" made lilo fail to run, I also tried it in an
| append statment, still no framebuffer.

For lilo both vga= and video= should be in "append".  I've also read
for older versions of lilo that it didn't handle hex numbers correctly
so you would need to translate that vga= into decimal for it.

| Is it possible that my Radeon cards aren't VESA 2.0 compliant?

Anything is possible, but I would expect every current card to be
compliant.

-D

--

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to
all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  But when he