Re: Boot sequence freezes at "Starting cannaserver..."

Thus spake Kirk Cheney:
> Another linux Newbie.  I saw this exact problem in the archives.  I have installed Debian Potato 2.2r2, I recently upgraded a few apps, and now the machine freezes during the boot sequence, with:
>
>  INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
>  Starting system log daemon: syslogd klogd
>  Starting anac(h)ronistic cron: anacron
>  Starting cannaserver...
>
> The suggested solution was to enter "linux s" at LILO, then "dpkg --purge cannaserver".  I have tried this, and get the response "dpkg - warning: ignoring request to remove cannaserver which isn't installed"
>
> Where do I find the boot info, and how do I remove cannaserver?
Remove the symlink in /etc/rc2.d/ that points to cannaserver.  The
/etc/rc* directories contain symlinks pointing to the services called
on startup, and also symlinks to kill those same services on shutdown.
Generally the scripts are good enough to fail silently if the program
is not actually installed, but apparently this one isn't.
Steve
--
The opossum is a very sophisticated animal.  It doesn't even get up
until 5 or 6 PM.