Help please, geting framebuffer working

I've just installed wood on a machine with an ATI Radeon LE video card. The
I built a new kernel (2.4.16) using kernel-package.

First I tried enabling the framebuffer Radeon support in the kernel, but
the results were not so good. The first console gets messed up during the
boot up messages, and winds up unuasble to log in on (lookes like it might
get left in "raw" tty mode). Then if I run fbi, the colors of the displayed
images are all wrong.

Soem kind soul on this list advised me the thet the ATI Radeon framebuffer
support is "very imature", so I decided to try the VEAS framebuffer mode.

I enabled it in the kernel, and rebooted, but I did not get a frambuffer,
juts plain old console.

I've read the framebuffer HOWTO, but it seems a bit too old to help me.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.