Re: apt-get connect takes forever, download instantaneous

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 06:51:33AM -0800, Seth Delackner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:06:44AM +0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> > Just a thought,
> >
> > try ping www.debian.org. if it takes a while to resolve the ip address,
> > then the problem is something to do with the dns server (yours /
> > external)
> >
> > you could also try dig www.debian.org and see how long that takes.
>
> Someone on the NYLUG list helped me narrow this down to DNS.  If I
> change my sources.list to have ftp://<ip address>/... then there is
> no connection delay.
>
> However, if, by hand, I time nslookup <site name>, then it resolves
> instantly, and if I manually ftp <site name>, that also connects
> instantly.  So what is so special about apt that it can't also?
>
> Here's my apt.conf in case it is screwing me up.  The passive ftp line
> I added to try to fix this delay, but it didn't do anything because
> of course, the delay was DNS related.  Disregard the http
> proxy specified, as all my sources are ftp://. Everything else is
> straight from the default installation (stable) config.
>
>         Acquire::ftp::passive "true";
>         Acquire::http::Proxy "http://seth:3128/";;
>         // Pre-configure all packages before they are installed.
>         // (Automatically added by debconf.)
>         DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs {"/usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt";};

I'd say your proxy is likely the problem. Can you 'ping seth' and get
an instantaneous reply?

If you install a web browser and set it up with that proxy, do you get
fast access to it?

Do you have a search entry in your resolv.conf that contains the rest
of "seth"'s address?