Re: lm-sensors build, sanity check

Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com> writes:
SB> OK, I'm trying to get lm-ensors working. Several people have pointed me to
SB> the lm-sensors source, and i2c source packages, and the kernel-package
SB> package.
SB>
SB> I'm already building kernels using the kernel-package tools. One of the
SB> nice things about this is that I can place the kernel sources in arbitrary
SB> places, such as ~/kernel_build/<version_no>. If I am reading the lm-sensrs
SB> source README corectly, I will have to unpack the lm-sensors source inot
SB> /usr/src/modules, even though my kernel sources are not in /usr/src. Am I
SB> reading this corectly?

No.  You can unpack the tarballs anywhere you like, but then you need
to set the MODULE_LOC environment variable to point to them.  That
variable defaults to /usr/src/modules if it's unset.  So I might do

  cd /home/dmaze/src
  tar xzf /usr/src/lm-sensors.tar.gz
  tar xzf /usr/src/i2c.tar.gz
  export MODULE_LOC=/home/dmaze/src/modules

*looks through README.Debian*  Hmm.  That case is mentioned briefly,
though perhaps not as prominently as one would like.

SB> Second question, isn;t the 12c code what I'm already using to
SB> control my TV card? If so why must I rebuild it for lm-sensors,
SB> and will this break it's other functionality?

Could be; I'm not actually sure what else i2c is used for.  Kernel
2.4.13 included i2c-2.6.1, which works with the current lm-sensors, so
if you're using that, make sure you're also using lm-sensors 2.6.2-1
(which knows not to complain) and you should be fine.  If you're using
an older kernel or want the updated i2c drivers, you can also install
them from the i2c-source package (in which case you should completely
disable i2c in the kernel).

	-- Abra Mitchell