Re: Patititioning hard drive

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 14:11, Kent West wrote:
> In my opinion, if it's just a home box, there's not any major advantage to
> breaking up such a large drive into multiple partitions (although personally,
> I still would, because I tend to think it's the Right Thing to do). If it's a
> server machine, I'd definitely break up the partitions.

I heavily advocate having two partitions for a home system, one for /
and another for /home. This way if the OS is corrupted (say you "rm /bin
-fr") you can just reinstall onto / and then remount /home to get all
data back.  Because of this I have gone from RH62 to Mandrake 7 to
Mandrake 8 to Debian Sid without any major hastle regarding my data.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                               mail: ross.burton@mail.com
                                       jabber: rossburton@jabber.org