Re: Proxy packages in Debian and difference between transparent and non-transparent SOCKS?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 02:16:56AM -0800, Calyth wrote:
> Does anyone know a good proxy package (besides squid) that would allow a
> Windows machine to access the internet through the proxy on applications
> that are not the standard ones (read: games, streaming, etc).
> I was lookigns socks4-server but it seems it's for unix only.
> Also what's the difference betwene a transparent socks proxy and a
> regular one?
Try dante IMHO it rocks :)

http Proxy or any other proxy can only handle a special protocol and maybe it
can cache the results (encryptet things can never be cached).
A generic socks proxy is able to forward the hole tcp connection.

Sven

--
>Lamer! :)\n Lokaler Admin mit enormen Rechten[tm]
[Christian Schneider und Jens Himmelrath in alt.hacker.org-gcf]
http://www.linux-secure.de http://www.linuxboard.de
http://www.bluephod.net http://www.disconow.de