Re: spam filter false positives

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:32:37PM -0800, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
| I've had about a dozen people from this mailing list tell me that their
| spam filters catch my messages.  Does anyone know why?  Is there a
| standard spam filtering package for Debian that is prone to false
| positives?

Commonly procmail is used for filtering, and it is just as good (or
bad) as the person using/configuring it.  Exim also has filter
capability, and it likewise is as good or bad as the person
configuring it.  There is a new package "razor" in sid that some
people are using.  This is a distributed database of spammer addresses
so that each person doesn't need to maintain their own db.

My suggestion is to ask these people which filter system(s) they use
and which filters were the ones that matched your message.  If, for
example, they use procmail or exim then seeing the rule for matching
and comparing it to your headers will explain why.

-D

--

"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
impossible to accomplish complex actions."