Re: debconf XFree86 settings

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 10:35:29PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> I had a problem today thanks to the latest round of XFree86 upgrading in
> Sid. I logged out, and gdm failed to come up. I rebooted and it again
> failed. /var/log/syslog simply said that it had failed, but not why.
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log told me that the mouse could not be initialized,
> and hinted that my mouse configuration had changed. This was confirmed
> by looking at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 -- my customizations were all gone.

[snip]

> The remaining issue is that of font management; dexconf insists on
> inserting a line for an xfs listening on port 7100, which is wrong
> because I don't have an xfs installed. It also insists on throwing away
> the entry for my TrueType fonts directory. dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86 didn't ask me about those things, and dpkg-reconfigure
> xfree86-common didn't ask me about anything. Is there some other package
> I can reconfigure that will ask me the right questions so I can prevent
> my X configuration from getting subtly screwed up every time a new set
> of XFree86 packages is installed?

The way to do it is when reconfiguring the xserver-xfree86 you have to
answer "no" to "Write default Files section to configuration file?"
question.

Then edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and add Files section manually
_outside_ of ### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION/### END DEBCONF SECTION block.

I hope that works for you.

> The TrueType fonts, by the way, didn't come from a Debian package, which
> I suppose could be why debconf doesn't know about them; I just copied
> them over from my Windows machine and manually configured them. If
> there's some trivial package I can install that will just register the
> presence of the font directory, I'll do that.

Just put them in /usr/local and add that FontPath to your custom files
section.  Don't forget the required stuff to be done for TT fonts.

[snip]

--
	GPG key-id: 1024D/DF04A255                 Dmitriy
	AA16 8FAB 74E1 3511 83D0  9F4B F087 CEC9 DF04 A255