libc6 messed up, no success recovering

I read with interest the thread "removed libc6, how to recover" on this list.
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2000/debian-user-200002/msg02109.html)
But the instructions didn't help me.

> Assuming the .deb of libc6 is still on your system (in
> /var/cache/apt/archives/), you might try booting from your rescue disk,
> switch to VC2 where you have a shell, mount your regular filesystem(s) under
> /mnt and try something like
> 	dpkg-deb --x /mnt/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6*deb /mnt
> 	ldconfig -r /mnt

I booted with a rescue floppy, then switched to the root floppy, and was
able to mount the various partititions on my hard drive.
But when I try to run dpkg (I don't seem to have dpkg-deb), I get the
error message:

# dpkg --x /mnt/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6*deb /mnt
/mnt/usr/bin/dpkg: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2.3' not found (required by /mnt/usr/bin/dpkg)

...now, earlier, while dpkg was still running (before I rebooted)
I had managed to run

# dpkg -x /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6*deb /var/cache/apt/archives/temp.

...so I tried manually copying files from this temp directory into their
corresponding locations on the disk (e.g. "cp temp/etc/* /etc/" and so
on...).  And even at that point, ldconfig was still running (I haven't tried it
again.)

THAT DIDN'T WORK EITHER.   So now, when I try to boot to the main disk,
I get the message:

init: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by init)

Perhaps the chronology of what I've done is not very clear, but...
please tell me how to fix my computer! :-(

Thanks
Scott Hawley
shawley@aei.mpg.de