Re: 8 character filenames on msdos floppy

According to Eric Smith on Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:09:23AM +0100:
> According to dman on Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 07:58:40AM -0500:

> > |   mount it as vfat (mount -t vfat)?
> >
> > The easiest way is to edit /etc/filesystems and list vfat above msdos.
> > When you specify a type of "auto", mount must try things (in some
> > order) to find one that works.  For some reason it defaults to trying
> > msdos before vfat, it works, and you only get 8.3 characters.  You can
> > specify a preferred order in /etc/filesystems and have it try vfat
> > first.
> >

> excellent.
>
> Wish the package maintainers would attend to these annoying
> little things - how many ppl really want 8.3 dos filenames
> as their default?

oops - now I get this:
[eric@cherry ~] 2 $ cp Samenwerkingsovereenkomst.doc /floppy&&ls /floppy
projec~1.dot  samenwer.doc  samenw~1.doc

which I prefer to the ~1 type but it still aint what I want :(

--
Eric Smith